Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Squatty Potties

As we head into our final week of class at the XuJiaHui campus I am predicting I won't have too many new stories to report.  We have classes all day everyday :( After classes are over we will be hanging out for a while and then I am sure we will try to frequent some of our favorite hot spots one last time before we are an hour away and actually have engineering homework.
As for a great purchase that I made yesterday (Monday)...I bought the complete set of Friends. All 10 seasons for 40 kuai ($6). The quality is not 100% but for $6 rather than close to $200 back home I will manage just fine.
There are more people back on campus since their break is coming to an end and since then the dinning hall food has improved dramatically. The food has always been good, there is just a lot more to choose from now. They kept it pretty limited over the new year break.
Now lets cover something that many people have been asking me about...Squatty Potties!
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term squatty potty, it is the eastern hole in the ground to go to the bathroom. Typically there is some sort of porcelain oval shape, flush to the ground, that leads to the piping but there is no place to sit, hence the 'squatty'.  Sometimes you don't even get the porcelain and in those instances you literally have a trough that runs all the way through the line of stalls. Yes, the squatty potties over here are gross! I don't want to go into to much detail and gross everyone out but really just think about it, and you can figure out why the floor gets messy and these stalls are nasty! Typically toilet paper is not provided in addition, soap and paper towels are not provided next to the sink - Thank God for travel tissues and wet wipes!  I can get over the gross factor, afterall I am in China, and I cannot expect everything to be clean. But, the smell!! wow!! I cannot seem to get past that. It is one of the worst smells ever, and we have smelt a lot of bad things!!! I honestly hold my breath when I go into most restrooms here in China. Yuck! I don't understand how something can smell so bad! It's awful!
Along the lines of the bathroom...
In America most woman go to the bathroom together, usually in pairs or in groups. In China they take that to a new level. A while back I was waiting in line for a stall to open up, and the two girls in front of my went into one stall!! one squatty potty stall - I couldn't believe it. I guess that is really knowing your best friends! 
Well I think I have enlightened everyone enough for a while. so if anything interesting happens before the big move I will keep you guys posted. If not I will post when I get settled at the Minhang campus.
I hope everyone back home is doing well. And can someone please tell me what is going on with Boilermaker Basketball (Men's)!!! I am not enjoying checking ESPN.com anymore, because recently I keep seeing Loss after Loss :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do they eat asparagus?