Saturday, February 28, 2009

My life kind of got boring now that I am an engineering student again

Wednesday Feb. 18th...

Now that we are taking engineering classes I am starting to get into a routine. In some ways it is nice to have a little structure back in my life because most of you from Purdue know how I like to organize my time down to every minute during the school week J But it other senses it is sad to be done with vacation.

Being in china has really allowed me to step back and just relax and enjoy. I am not stressing out about a million different things I need to do. I am sure there are things that I need to get done in a more timely manner…but I am stress free for the first time since I have started classes at Purdue!

So the big highlight today, other than class and homework was the late night run. Kyle came down to our room at 11:00PM and asked if we wanted to go on a run. We said yes. The lady that sits at the front of our building was very worried because she locks the doors at midnight and if we are not inside the only way for us to get back in is ring the doorbell and wake her up.

So we get outside and it is raining. It was surprisingly refreshing. The run was good other than the massive cramp I got in my calf but we made it back before the lady locked the door.

Thursday Feb. 19th

I woke up early this morning to go to my 8AM class. I get to class and the professor is not yet there, so we started asking the Chinese students if they have the 10 minute rule. Back at Purdue, it is an unwritten rule, made by the students, that states, if a professor has not shown up for 10 minutes after the class was supposed to start….everyone leaves. It doesn’t happen very often but it is a nice surprise when it does J Anyway, the Chinese students don’t have anything like this. They actually called the professor or TA (I am not exactly sure which one) and asked where they were. I was shocked!!! At Purdue no one in his or her right mind would call the professor to find out where he/she is, we would just leave. It turned out that the professor was stuck in a traffic jam and would not make it to class so class was canceled!!

I went back to my room and worked on a little bit of homework, and then I took a nap. I woke up from my nap to go to an office hour and then class. After coming back to my room and warming up, since the classrooms are cold, I worked on some more homework.  Eventually we had a little meeting in the guys room about our Harbin trip, we were finalizing how to get to the airport and things of that nature. The guys gave me money for the hotel. Everyone owed me 172 RMB. Everyone was really good about giving my exact change…especially Adam. Adam decided to give me 160RMB in the bills. And then he gave my 12 RMB in jiao’s. So basically I got $12 in dimes!!! It was so funny. As I was talking to some of the guys I heard Adam going around to the different rooms asking everyone for all of their change. I didn’t have a bag or anything to my pockets were stuffed with coins and now I cannot get rid of them. Even the woman that we have to get laundry coins from she would not accept them as payment. So basically it comes down to the next person in the group that I owe money too will be getting a lot of change J

After all of that happened I still had to pack for the trip. Not like it was a difficult task because I just needed warm clothes, but it still needed to be done. It was quick and easy. Not having all of my clothes in China made it a lot easier to pack, the selection is already narrowed for me. As I was packing we watched a movie. I never finished the movie, I fell asleep as soon as I was done packing. 

No comments: