Monday, February 16, 2009

My Last Week as a Liberal Arts Student

On Monday we went out to a place (Blue Frog) that had true American Burgers…It ended up being one of the best burgers I have ever had! Blue Frog was about a 15 minute walk to campus The special was buy one get one free so Caitlin and I were able to split the cost. I had a blue cheese burger, which was cooked a perfect medium rare. It was amazing! With french fries and ketchup! Caitlin and most of the guys got a Montana Burger. This burger was HUGE!!! (I have posted a picture of Adam and his Burger). It looked fantastic and everyone said it was. It was a burger patty, cheese, bacon, an onion ring plus the lettuce, tomato, and onion. And on top of all of that was BBQ sauce.

Overall this week was really busy with classes all day.  So at night we just visited some of our favorite hotspots that we have found over the last 6 weeks. It was all slightly bittersweet…to be ending our career as ‘Liberal Arts’ students.  With the past 6 weeks being easy academically we have been calling our selves Liberal Arts students, because we finally realize how they have so much free time to go out every night and actually enjoy their lives and not spend all of their time in the library, doing homework and projects, all week.

Thursday Feb 12th

The weather has been in the 70’s (Fahrenheit…even though I am now fully immersed in the Celsius system, I decided to convert back to accommodate all of America) so after class we decided to go to the Jonghua Temple. It was a short subway ride away. A few of our Chinese classmates came with us. I love that they want to hang out and get to know us.  Outside the temple was the Jonghua Pagoda. A pretty standard Pagoda like we saw a lot of in Suzhou and Hangzhou.  Right next to the Pagoda there was a tree with red ribbons draped around most of the branches. People were able to buy these ribbons and throw them into the tree. And since China is so over populated they paid some lady to pick up all the ones that have fallen off the tree. She then proceeds to stand there and throw them back into the tree…it is very bizaare.

The courtyards of the temple appeared the same as the other temples we have seen, however, the alters were actually quite massive. The statues would fill up a complete room. It was very quite. There was a gross little pond off to the side with a lot of dead fish and dead turtles…it actually isn’t even worth mentioning. I enjoyed seeing this temple. If it weren’t for the elaborate alters I wouldn’t recommend going, but they really are massive and worth seeing.

Right next to the temple there was the Longhua Martyrs Mausoleum.  This, for us Americans, ended up being a beautiful park with some big statues honoring the Longhua Martyrs. It was very peaceful and beautiful on such a gorgeous day. We walked around for a while, then we ended up just sitting on benches. It was great to get out for the afternoon and enjoy the weather.

Later on we went to Zapatas and enjoyed a couple of free drinks and then went to Windows for our last time, well I am sure we will be back but for our last time while living in XuJiaHui.  As always we had a great time J

No comments: