Sunday, February 8, 2009

Superbowl Monday

Monday Feb 2nd

So as everyone was back home enjoying Superbowl Sunday we woke up early to enjoy Monday morning Superbowl. Caitlin and I met the guys on Tongren Lu at 7:30AM (we know, we were late for kickoff) . I don’t remember the name of the place but we payed 100 Kuai for a breakfast buffet. It was a great American breakfast...including eggs benedict J We stayed there to watch the game for a while but it got really hot so we decided to go back to the Faculty club and try to stream it off the internet. The NFL has everything very well blocked and we were unsuccessful. The guys ended up watching it on the TV with Chinese announcers. Caitlin and I turned it on after our TV got fixed.

We haven’t used our TV since we tried it out the first week we got here. We tried turning it on for the game and it didn’t work. So we talked to the maid and she called maintenance. They couldn’t figure it out, so they did the next most logical thing…take our broken TV out and put it in the room next door, and we got the working TV from next door. And that is how China fixes problems…just moves the broken things to a different location and exchanges them with the working things from that location.

We missed what we heard was a great end to the game; we had to go to class. This class was great though; we got to meet our Chinese classmates. There are 9 SJTU students that came back from their break early to be apart of our class. Ultimately they are trying to come to Purdue for the next two years and this class helps their application. We took a lot of time in class to do ice breakers and get to know each other. I am very impressed with how well they speak English. They are funny too. It is really nice to finally have some other people in our class other than our classmates from Purdue.

After class we all went to the dinning hall together. I sat with the three Chinese students that I talked with the most during class. They are just as interested to get to know us as we are to get to know them. After lunch we had some time before our afternoon class so I played Frisbee for about 15 minutes with Chinese students.

After our second class of the day Caitlin, Kyle and I did a workout video and then I had to write my paper that was due at midnight. The incentive to get my paper done quickly was there were free Margaritas for Ladies at a place not to far from campus. Since I was motivated I sat down and was able to get the paper done quickly. I showered and got ready to go out. Our guys were going to be there too since Zapatas lured the guys into the bar by serving free beer for an hour. Also some of the Italian guys that we have met joined us. The night ended up being so much fun. No one was drunk everyone just had a great time dancing and playing cards together. It's weird to think how close we have all become in last month. This group from Purdue has really become a great group of friends.

No comments: