Saturday, January 17, 2009

Nanpu Bridge Market

Wednesday Jan 14th

Today we only had Dianne’s class in the morning.  Then we ate lunch in the dinning hall and Weiqi took us out for the afternoon even though she didn’t have class with us.  She wanted to show us another cheap bargaining market.

To get there we took the public bus. This was a new experience. We never ride the buses because they are way to confusing and there are too many of them, and they don’t have any of the stops listed in English.  The bus wasn’t that crowded since it was mid day but we were able to use our public transportation cards and just swipe when we got on.  The buses are so confusing, we got off at the wrong stop…and Weiqi uses the bus system a lot. Haha. We just walked a few blocks and we were there. The market she took us to was the Nanpu bridge silk market. Basically it was a custom tailored market, with more than just suits and coats. I saw some really cute dresses so now I just need to pick out what styles I want so I will be ready for the weddings when I get home!! The girls stuck with Weiqi and she was teaching us all of her best bargaining hints.

After a few hours Weiqi left us and we went over to Pudong to go back to the science and technology market.  I made my first bargaining purchase of the trip. I bought a cute coach purse. The woman originally wanted close to $200 but I stood my ground and I payed around $24.  A bunch of the guys ordered custom tailored coats. Caitlin and I decided to wait and see how there’s turn out to see if we want to go to the same tailor…they are our test dummies J

After a full day of shopping some of us went to get dumplings, then someone had a craving for ice cream so we searched around. We ended up getting scoops of ice cream from a vendor in the mall. Ice cream is not any cheaper than back home. But it was great to finally have a dessert!!!

Eventually we ended up out at the bars again…not a surprise at all. We keep justifying it by thinking we are in the heart of the city now, so we can live it up while we don’t really have any obligations and then when we move to Minhang we are just going to get killed with school, and we will be a lot further away from everything. So it is okay to go out a lot now.

The cheapest place we have found is a place called Windows on Huaihai Lu. The beer is cheap and the long islands are strong J we have been spending a lot of time there. Every time we are there we meet great people from around the world including some locals.

The guys said this the other day and it is honestly the best way to some up Shanghai…. “Eat. Drink. Shop. Shanghai.”

No comments: